Wednesday, July 22, 2015

BITX, Single Frequency Receiver-2

Peter VK3YE  made a wonderful signel freq transceiver based on the BITX. My previous experiment is here. http://vu3inj.blogspot.in/2015/06/bitx-singlefrequency-receiver.html write up looks similar.

Frequency is 14315kc , ( 20 meter band )

 I had one 14315kc transmitter and made two three single frequency receiver. Those receivers work for Testing my local signal only. I wanted something air worthy. Which can receive other hams signal. So, made this...

Lets start from back-wards.

1.AF Amplifier stage:-
LM386 In standard form with BC549C af preamplifier.

2.Product detector:-
Using subharmonics detector... he he... I don't have third 14.318kc xtals. So used the available 7.159xtal. Also did not had the balun core. If you have balun cores use them please. Another option is to use  differential 3 transistor Single balanced demodulator.

3.IF Amplifiers:-
 As given in bitx. As frequency is higher the gain will be low. Ohh this is the reason for Rx being so much deaf. Need to add one amplifier in Front end. { Read last para, finally found out the true reason, the xtal  had moved a little and loose connection happened. It works fine. No need of extra gain }

4. Front end band pass filters.
Even after making this working receiver I did not put the filter. Could not find the RFC nor a IFT. Was lazy to wind it up. One day legendary VU2DEV suggested to me K&R Filters. Here the tap is taken from the capacitor instead of the L.  My problem with filter was that I could not find suitable component for L and taped L does not work as receiver BPF. You can see VU2DEV use this type of filter for his JOTA, S7 trx, GR40, ISDR etc. Somehow I managed to make a suitable filter.

Have a look at his blog

5.Cabinet and Speakers.
All standard things.... I really homebrew cabinet.  In our kitchen we buy 15Kg oil in metal pack. So, when it is used up, I cut the metal box which is 2foot x1 footx1foot. So, it give a good one box for my projects. I buy paint from local store. Generally black paint . It is a thin metal, so I can do most of the mechanical work without any problem and it last more than 10 years.  After that give a pint job and it look new. He he. this tech is 15 years old.

The schematics and pictures will be updated. With full details.

PCB Sketching:-
I sometimes make the pcb very very old style. Using the oil paint, paint brush and Feric Cloride as etchant. It is no hole , surface mount type pcb. Of course for normal components. This is the process to make a quick prototype. Draw it, etch it, make it and test it. The prototype is ready within a day.


 Here AF amplifier stage pcb patter before it is etched. In the blank right hand side I have put the detector using manhattan style.
Af Pre amp + LM386 audio amp. 
RF amplifier, Second stage is cascade.
RF Amplifier with Xtal filter.

If I make further project then will integrate all the ckt in single board with replaceable filter assembly.

Schematics 
You will often see the similar ckt. reason is simple. The modules have given me time proven performance. So, they are innovated and used.




AF pre amp, LO,detector, IF2,xtal filter, IF1 Amp.

The last write-ups and this write-up looks similar. It should be as it is one and the same thing.
I intend to put up a BPF and do some on air test for my beacon. From one QTH to another QTH and measure its performance.

Testing:-

I  finally boxed up with last screw.  I want to make it as a black box. Literally its painted black. The VXO does not deviate much... I need to make some components change in VXO... add one rfc.

It is quite sensitive. There was one glitch. signal was intermittent. Did the screw driver test. I put screw drive at the second IF amp. It did sound loud. Then put at antenna side. No signal. so somewhere is dry solder. Pressed one xtal. Presto the signal boomed in. Did heat up all joints. Then suddenly once again signal went down. So, I looked minutely. Oh the real culprit was second leg of xtal. It was loose. So soldered it. And all is well.

Now.....Installing the bandpass filter. Installed and working fine. Will do some field test ..........






 
One  ham  VU3YFD, informed, he had also made the transceiver for single freq. But, I have not seen his ckt  nor the picture of that project.
 
VK3YE , Peter had made it and worked successfully. He has put it website. Both hams done transceiver in 40 meter, mine is just single receiver.
 
 I have tested and found working. Will try to design the pcb and offer kit also so that  others do not have struggle.
 
The wheel is re-invented  Worth try it.